Skip to main content

Dave Ramsey and Rachel Cruze on the Food Budget


 Dave Ramsey
Dave Ramsey

I am a die-hard Dave Ramsey fan.  I totally believe in his financial program. My family also enjoys listening to the Dave Ramsey radio show. If you haven't listened to it, you need to stop by for a visit. The guy is freaking hilarious! If you haven't read his books, DO IT! The first one you need to start with is The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness.  If you have read that one but are wanting to try some of his other fabulous books, here you go.  I have personally read them all and love each book.



On that point, I got thinking this week of what does Dave say when it comes to groceries and the food budget?  I decided to hit up Youtube and see what I can find.  I found a video by Rachel Cruze, "Don't Let Food Eat Up Your Income", that touches on this topic.  I was hoping in the thousands of Dave Ramsey videos to find one where he talks about the food budget but I didn't find a specific one.  I did find this advice, "Make a budget and stick to it".  So, there is Dave's very concise advice on the videos. However, I did find a blog article titled "5 Simple Ways to Cut Your Grocery Bill Without Coupons".  So, here is some "food" for thought on food.  He breaks it down into 5 easy steps:
1. Redefine dinner - Simplify dinner.  You don't need a 3-course meal every night.
2. Be brand un-loyal - Sometimes what you are paying for is the brand name not the better product.
3. Try different grocery stores - Winco is definitely cheaper than Albertsons, even though Albertsons is closer to our house.  Make a list and go once a week versus numerous trips through the week to the closest grocery store.
4. Learn to love a list - This one is obvious, stick to the list to stay on budget.  Don't buy that $2 bag of donuts because you are craving sweets if it isn't on the list.
5. Keep cash as king - I'm not good at this one as I tend to lose cash but Dave is absolutely right on this one. If you have cash, you can't overspend.  You have to stay at your limit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Pasta Sauce Recipe

Thank you to Yvonne Cariere for providing our  Facebook group  with this delicious looking Simple Sausage Casserole recipe! Simple Pasta Sauce by Yvonne Cariere Ingredients 2-3 servings 1 jar of tomato sauce 2 chopped red bell peppers 1 small zucchini in quarters 250grams of mushrooms 1-2 chopped onions 3 sliced garlic toes 200 grams of cherry tomatoes 2 heaped tablespoons of Italian herbs (no salt) 500 grams of good quality minced meat (best you can afford without breaking budget) Bake the onions in olive oil with one tablespoon of the herbs. Add the garlic, then mushrooms. When these are starting to smell, add the bell peppers and the zucchini. As last add the tomatoes, sliced. Add the tomato sauce, and a tiny bit (150ml) of water. In other pan with a tiny bit of olive oil, start cooking the minced meat. Add a tablespoon of Italian herbs. When it is done, add to the sauce/veggie mix. Let the sauce shimmer with a lid for at least half an hour and then pu...

Budget Meal Recipes for April 30th - May 6th

Ham and Potato Corn Chowder Welcome to the Budget Meal Recipes website! We have over 2,000 members on our Facebook group, Dave Ramsey - Budget Meal Ideas ! To make finding recipes easier, each week I will be posting the budget meal recipes shared on our Facebook page here in a weekly post. Soon you will also be able to use the category tab to search for specific types of recipes. If you find a recipe you'd like to share, please post a link to it on the Dave Ramsey - Budget Meal Ideas Facebook page and I will get it in. Please keep in mind that all recipes need to be budget friendly as the purpose of the group is to help us save money on groceries. Thanks!  Products   A member posted this deal on the Facebook page.  I have an Instant Pot and LOVE IT although mine is a different one. This pot is the  Instant Pot IP-DUO Plus60 9-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6 Qt .  This kind of pot saves me a lot of time in the kitchen and money on g...

Budget Meal Recipes for June 19th - July 2

   Many of you have probably noticed that I haven't posted for a bit.  We've been on vacation at our house plus lots of other things going on!  I hope everyone else has had a great two weeks as ours has been very fun and productive. For one of these trips we wound up eating on the go in the van.  Definitely not our favorite way to do dinner but we needed to leave then or wait until the next day.  I didn't want to spend $20-$30 hitting the drive through so I made a cheap and fast homemade lunchables to tide us over.  (I'll admit I even had to put them together in the car with the pre-sliced toppings.)  Right about then I realized what an absolute rip off store bought lunchables are. Videos How to live on $3 a Day - Day 4 Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe Recipes One Pan Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Quinoa Hilaria Baldwin's Shrimp & Quinoa Paella 20-minute Chicken Fajita Quinoa Dinner Skillet Slow Cooker Cheesy Enchilada Q...